11.04.2005

Can Someone Tell Me If I Won?

For the last few months, I've been wondering aloud why anyone buys $10 and $20 scratch off lottery tickets. It seems awfully pricey to me.

The people I see with these lottery tickets always seem to be those who look like they're on a fixed income. Admittedly, I don't play the lottery at all but I can understand that guy in the convenience store who uses his buck or two in change to buy a scratch off ticket or a powerball ticket.

But 10-20 bucks for one scratch off ticket? And they come in vending machines now. I can only guess that the reason for it is that anyone with an ounce of good sense should be embarrassed to pay that amount for a scratch off ticket to a real person. Kind of like asking the lady at the pharmacy counter for condoms. But that's not the kicker.

Today as I walked by the vending machine in the place I get lunch, I noticed that the vending machine had braille on it.

Braille??? Are you kidding me? I'm just trying to picture or understand the scenario in which a blind person walks up to the vending machine, plops a twenty in the machine and proceeds to scratch off the ticket.

How in God's name do they know if they won or not? The tickets don't seem to have braille on them. Now, I'm sure that some feel good legislator had something to do with this.

Only in America do we go to extra lengths to ensure that the blind have an equal opportunity of throwing their money away.

No comments:

Bluey's World Merchandise