3.14.2006

Perfect Albums: Radiohead - The Bends

Let's face it, there are plenty of great albums out there, but every few years, an artist comes out with the perfect record. I would say that there have been probably less than fifty of them ever made in the history of rock.

Radiohead, The Bends is unequivocally one of them. I was listening to this record the other day and forgot why I stopped listening to it every day. Radiohead used to be one of my favorite bands. This record is so good, it actually caused me to be less of a fan. With every follow-up album Radiohead has made since The Bends was released in 1995, I've become increasingly disenchanted with the band. I never really fully understood why until the other day. It's not they're not making great music, it's just in my mind The Bends was a perfect album, creating a huge measuring stick in the process.

There really isn't a bad track on the album. Fake Plastic Trees, (Nice Dream), Just, My Iron Lung and Bullet Proof (...I wish I was) are my personal favorites but I have to admit that I never skip a song on the entire album. That is what classifies a perfect album in my mind.
I still dig on Radiohead, but I try not to place such high expectations on Thom Yorke and the boys.

I encourage you to take a listen to one of Bluey's "Perfect Albums". Enjoy.

No comments:

Bluey's World Merchandise