1.03.2010

BioShock: Welcome To Rapture!

I am Andrew Ryan and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

No, says the man in Washington; it belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican; it belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow; it belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose...
Rapture.

A city where the artist would not fear the censor.
Where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality.
Where the great would not be constrained by the small.
And with the sweat of your brow,
Rapture can become
your city as well.
— Andrew Ryan

I spent the New Year's three day weekend immersed in the underwater city of Rapture after picking up BioShock for the Xbox360. All I can say is...Wow! What a great game.

Set in an Ayn Rand dystopian Atlantis-like city underwater, this game comes complete with a wonderful back story, an incredible soundtrack of old songs that paint a ghost of the past and an eerie world where you can just roam the city looking at the poster boards, graffiti and other adornments.

Released in 2007, I finally got around to playing this single player title and it did not disappoint. After three sleepless days, I actually lamented finishing this game. Lots of thrills and an odd assortment of characters and a story that just pulls you in. The weapons were really cool and the genetic mutations (plasmids) were a lot of fun to experiment with for different effects.

BioShock gets an A from me and joins Crackdown and Dead Rising as the gems of the past few years. The feel of the game though is unmatched by any other. It really pulls you into its' world and let you live there if for only a brief period of time.

No comments:

Bluey's World Merchandise