1.09.2009

Nobody Goes Full Retard...


I watched Tropic Thunder last night. It was weird but extremely hilarious in spots. It will definitely be one of those cult classics that everyone quotes lines from for years.

The movie is about a bunch of actors making a war movie. Ben Stiller's character, Tugg Speedman, talks about his best role (Simple Jack), that all the awards shows snubbed. He explains how he puts his whole effort into the role, actually feeling retarded after leaving the set most nights. But the movie flops anyway. In comes Robert Downey's character, an Austrailian actor, Kirk Lazarus, with many Academy Award wins who has pigmentation surgery to play an African-American platoon sargeant in the film, to offer his sage advice for playing "slow" individuals on film.


Kirk Lazarus: Everybody knows you never go full retard.



Tugg Speedman: What do you mean?



Kirk Lazarus: Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' look retarded, act retarded, not retarded. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not retarded. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. Retarded, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't retarded. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. Retarded, no. You went full retard, man. Never go full retard. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full retard, went home empty handed...



The scene from Tropic Thunder just about had me pissing myself (although you need to see the "Simple Jack" trailer in the movie to have a real appreciation for it). This is what got most people upset over the movie for and of course, I find it absolutely hilarious...go figure!

Tay and I finished watching the movie and we were goofing around before going to bed.

I pop a couple of my meds and go to swallow them down and Tay Tay says, "You went Full Retard...You never go Full Retard..."

I started to choke and spit the ice tea in my mouth across the room and my pills all over the floor. I started to laugh so hard it actually hurt my throat.

I'm pretty sure we'll be saying that for awhile around here.

I would recommend the movie for twisted individuals like myself. Tom Cruise nearly stole the movie. He was hilarious, especially dancing to Flo Rida's "Low". I almost pissed myself at that scene too!

4 comments:

Beukey said...

"Simple Jack" was great. "I..see..you..everynight..in..the..movies..in..mah..head" makes me laugh everytime I think of it.

The trailer for "The Fatties" or whatever it was called was also hilarious, and expresses my feeling exactly about those one-joke movies where Eddie Murphy plays multiple characters.

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie in the theater with my sister KB. At the "full retard" scene, everyone in the theater was kind of afraid to laugh at it, but she kept cracking up uncontrollably & very loudly!

Then we bought it for Cal to watch at home. Being a girl, watching a guy watch this movie was better than watching the movie.

And I agree Tom Cruise stole the show with his character. He was nominated for a Golden Globe!

Shell said...

Although I agree it was weird, I laughed my ass off the majority of the movie too.
Robert Downey Jr and Tom Cruise really stole the show, in my opinion.

"I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disgused as another dude!"

Bluey said...

Shel...

I think BYC went full retard when they "gave you a vacation".

MP was totally out of line on your thread. When do you get out of "jail"?

Bluey's World Merchandise