4.21.2008

It's Not The Toe, It's The Toe Knuckle!

Splendid...just splendid! Another case of gout in advance of the spring pilgrimage and the opening of my softball season on Sunday morning. I'm barely able to walk without excruciating pain. I couldn't even put a pair of dress shoes on this morning. And it's on my non-Jesus foot to boot!!!

I blame three people for my ongoing recurrences of gout:

1) My Dad: He must've passed some gout gene to me. He's been in pretty good shape his whole life and suffers regularly from gout. Thanks, Dad. A nice big inheritance might offset some of the pain and suffering!

2) My physician: She knew of my gout recurrences and put me on a diuretic (water pill) anyway for my high blood pressure. Of course, being a biochemist, i should have predicted that the pill would exacerbate the condition, but I'm all about the blaming of others for my problems.

3) My own fat ass: Okay, I'm not all about blaming others, but would it kill me to drop a few pounds?

I'm loading up on colchicine, coffee and cherries!!! Since there is really no good therapeutic drug for gout yet (Savient Pharmaceuticals is working on a new drug, Puricase, that I hope gets approved ASAP!), I hope to god I'm good to go for this weekend!

God-damned Toe-knuckle!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saved by the Pilgrimage!

I want to know who is going to wait on him hand & foot all weekend since he can hardly walk.

Bluey said...

Usually 19 year old female gymnasts help the pain subside :)

Bluey said...

And don't believe Tay for a minute when she says that she's happy to see me go this weekend. She lives to slave over me, right honey? :)

Hamdog said...

Good to hear that you will be at the pilgrimage. I thought the "early" word had you as a "no show". Whoever has you in the death pool has to be feeling good, right now. F'n gout? Isn't that an old man's disease. What's next, Metamucil so you can take a shiite?

Hamdog

Irish said...

You are not the first person to be brought down by a painful toe problem! :-)

Hope it gets better soon...

Irish

Bluey's World Merchandise