10.04.2009

Our First Processed Chicken






Tay and I processed our first chicken today. We have 2 extra young roosters, so we thought we'd try our hand at producing our own roaster. Our largest Buff Orpington rooster will provide Tuesday's dinner with our girls!

I spared you guys any real graphic photos. Overall, It went very well and we are excited to taste the fruits of our labors. Plucking turned out to be extremely simple after dipping the chicken in 150 degree water a few quick dunks. Eviscerating it turned out to be rather simple as well. If the bird ends up tasting good, I can see us processing more birds in the future.

Since our birds truly free range, there's a chance the meat won't be as tender as caged birds, but worse comes to worse, we just make soup in the future. I'm just glad to have the chickens and enjoy them having free reign on the property. They are very relaxing to watch and the eggs the hens provide are the best! Now, if the rooster roast turns out to be a winner, I think we'll have full utilization of a chicken flock and teach our children a good lesson in providing the simpler basics of life for ourselves.

I'll update with pictures of Tuesday's dinner with the girls!

1 comment:

LiLi said...

I give you guys credit. I didn't think you had it in you Bluey to snack on one of your flock! You have certainly made it to official farmers now! Yee Haw!

Bluey's World Merchandise