6.15.2009

Performance Inhibiting Drugs (PIDs)



I love Major League Baseball's new acronym for steroids as PEDs (performance enhancing drugs). It actually makes sports radio guys sound halfway intelligent.

Well, this past weekend, I had a nerve exposed in a molar and had to go to the ER for painkillers and antibiotics since I couldn't get in for a root canal until Monday.

Well, it made my softball performance interesting to say the least. I perform well enough defensively but when I stepped to the plate it was evident that I was "juiced up" and "far out".

For a large guy, I'm uncharacteristically a contact hitter who hits line drives to all fields for mainly singles and doubles. I rarely attempt to kill the ball or try to hit it over outfielder's heads. I'm more apt to drive one right through the box.

I could probably count on both hands how many times I've swung and missed in slowpitch softball in my entire life.

On Sunday, not only did I swing and miss almost 10 times, I struck out swinging twice while going a modest 2 for 6 while we split a doubleheader versus Shop-N-Save.

Let's just say I provided the entertainment and a cool breeze to the players around me...and leave it at that. And yes, i am aware that PID is already an acronym for pelvic inflammatory disease. But it fits because those balls could have been swollen to twice their size and I still would have probably missed them!

Put Tremadol down as the first documented PID.

No comments:

Bluey's World Merchandise